Thursday, August 09, 2007

Dong Wook





I tutored Dong Wook for an hour every night while I was in Korea. That was about four years ago. It was a weird experience because he really couldn't speak English at all. We basically spent our time arm wrestling or inventing new games. That is until one night his father broke into the room drunk as hell on soju and holding a bamboo sword. He was ready to beat someone and I was afraid it was me. It took about 10 minutes to figure out what the problem was. His father eventually produced his son's report card. Dong Wook ranked something like 398th out 399 in his class. Luckily, his English mark was by far his highest.

It turns out that his father just wanted me to make sure he did his homework every night and beat him with the bamboo sword if he didn't finish it.

Anyways, I haven't heard from him since I left Korea. I was surprised to get an e-mail today.

Believe it or not, his English has improved dramatically. He must have found a better tutor.

Hi how are you? david where live? canada? live? so.. im 18 years old so...
how old you? im going to high school so david.. your marrid sandra? and live canada?
i want call you and many talk!!^^ im yet live the pusan i want to meet you ^
and sandra ^^ my mother talk say you meet you ^^ and meet you
and teach me your canada house number please!!^^ i want you talk ^^
im so.. very study hard .. i want meet you. your not come back korea?? ...
ok.. im long time ago.. so not to you letter .. im .. very sorry.. david..
david.. you seeing this e-mail give me an answer.. please david ok??
yo~~~ david... please answer a letter ..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Always great to read about someone else's experiences!

Please link to by blog

elt-world.blogspot.com

David