Monday, December 17, 2007

Questions About Living in Malaysia

I often have people write to me to ask various questions about living in Malaysia. I'm happy to answer them all. That was the original purpose of this blog afterall. There is one question that I couldn't answer reqarding schools.

"I have a daughter that will be starting grade 7 in September. International schools are too expensive. Are there any schools in KL that teach mostly in English and have reasonable tuition?"

If anyone reading this in KL can help, please leave a comment. Also, feel free to comment if I've given bad advice in any area.




Can I buy a car for around RM 5,000?

Picking up a car for about RM 5,000 shouldn't be a big problem. Don't expect the best car in the world. There is one called the Kancil that's pretty small and cheap. I imagine a used one can't be too expensive.





What's traffic like?

Traffic can be a bitch. You will become very familiar with the word Jam. The infrastructure in KL simply isn't good. If you want to explore the country, once you get out of KL the traffic is fine. You'll always be paying tolls though. That might get on your nerves.



What's the closest beach to KL?

- The closest beach that I've been to in an island called Pangkor. It's probably a little less than two hours away from KL. Nice place. It's not touristy. Great place to bring your family. Mostly locals. Not great if you want to party.
- Penang is between 4-5 hours away.
- Langkawi is a couple of hours north of Penang, but it's a world class beach and duty-free island. It's well worth the trip.
- There are numerous top-notch beaches on the east coast, but I've never been to any of them. I always leave the country on my holidays.

"Can my husband find a job once he's here?"

I imagine that he should be able to find a job. The problem might be his salary and what he expects. Don't expect him to get a big fat expat salary.

"Do you think my family can live off RM 1,200 a month after rent?"

- Water RM 8
- Electricity (I pump the a/c) RM 80-100
- I think that budgeting to live off RM 1,200 per month for a family will be extremely tight to impossible.

1 comment:

David said...

"I have a daughter that will be starting grade 7 in September. International schools are too expensive. Are there any schools in KL that teach mostly in English and have reasonable tuition?"

Mostly in Malaysia, we have private school and international school as well. They are offered mostly in English



Can I buy a car for around RM 5,000?

Don't think so, the cheapest car here would cost around 26k+ and thats a lousy crappy car you can get.




What's traffic like?

Sucks big time, we have tolls everywhere. You gotta pay for every route you take in the urban area.




What's the closest beach to KL?

The closest beach should be Port Klang, but thats a commercial port. The closest recreation beach is Port Dickson, which is around 1 hour drive from KL area. Yes, the top-notch beaches are indeed from the East coast.




"Can my husband find a job once he's here?"

Yes, very likely. But don't expect salary to be paid in Canadian dollar though. Its in Ringgit value which is 1/3 of Canadian currency.




"Do you think my family can live off RM 1,200 a month after rent?"

Family, dont think so. But if you are university graduate, you would at least be getting RM2k+ salary.


Hope that clears things up =)