Thursday, July 27, 2006

No Phones Allowed


It really bugs me when students text message in class. I had a problem with this in my first practicum. You really need to lay down the law during the first class. I put this photo on my PowerPoint presentation on the first day. The students had a good laugh but they got the point. I rarely see students messing with their phones in class. When they do, they are sneaky about it which is ok with me. I just don't want phone mania in my class.

Since foreigners need to put down a RM 1,000 deposit to get a phone I figured I'd be better off buying a snazzy cell-shot. It can take pictures and short video clips. When I'm not broke anymore I'll buy the attachment so I can upload my cam pics to the blog. I've got some nice pics already.

I'm sick as a dog at the moment, but I got to skip an after school meeting to go to the doctor. He filled a little bag full of goodies for me. All I had to do was flash my school I.D. card and it was free. The whole process took less than thirty minutes. I would have never even bothered going to a doctor in Canada if I were in this condition. I could use a sick day tomorrow and make it a long weekend, but I'll tough it out. I just need to watch some presentations and give my students a case study so I can be in zombie mode. I'm going to save my sick days until the dreaded six month mark when culture shock can really hit home.

No comments: