Friday, October 20, 2006

Cost of Living in KL


Here is a breakdown of the cost of living in Kuala Lumpur. If you are considering teaching here, use this as a guide to decide if your school is giving you a fair deal. Malaysia's currency is called the Ringgit. I call it the Blinggit. 100 Ringgits equals about $30 CDN. For most things, I'd say a ringgit buys you about the same as a dollar. The three exceptions are cars, houses, and beer.


Income tax


For any teacher it shouldn't go above 10%. 10% would be for the top of the pay scale at an international school.


Accommodation


Unfurnished basic (ghetto) apartment: RM 500-600

Master bedroom fully furnished: RM 250-300

Nice condo in nice area: RM 2,000-2,500

Two story townhouse (older): RM 800-1,000

Newer style townhouse: Over RM 1,000. Depends how nice and what area.


Taxi


Basic fare starts are RM 2, but you'll never get the meter rate.

Train
I enjoy taking trains. I took the train from KL to Butterworth, which is where you catch the ferry for Penang. I believe the ticket cost me about RM 40, which is pretty damn cheap for an 8 hour train ride. I had my own bed and slept the whole way.
Bus
I recently to the bus from KL to Lemut, which is where you catch the ferry for Pangkor Island. The bus tickt was RM 19 for four hours. Not too bad.



Food


Lunch or dinner at a Chinese or India restaurant (nothing fancy): RM 6-7


Beer


Big Bottle: RM 12-15 depending on the brand.

Can: RM 6-7

Mug: RM 9-10

Jug: RM 50 (can be cheaper during hh)


Cigarettes


20 Marlboros: RM 7.20

14 Marlboros: RM 5.00


Pirated DVD


Street seller: RM 10

Petaling Street RM8
Gas
RM 1.50 per litre




No comments: