Sunday, October 01, 2006

Malaysia Beats China for Shopping










When I first arrived, my students claimed that Malaysia was the pirated goods capital of the world. I had trouble believing it because I have been to Thailand a couple of times. I also lived next to Shanghai for a year. Now I realise that on a per capita basis, Malaysia is the champion. Petaling Street has a much wider variety of pirated goods than any market I've been to. I've also determined that pirated goods are much cheaper than Thailand or China. Officially, Mr. St.Germain does not endorse the purchase of pirated goods. I simply visit these areas to browse.

On the other hand, I do live near the Sunway Pyramid. Today I was pleasantly surprise to see that they opened a new store call "Outlet Bazaar". I bought four pairs of Abercrombie shorts and two golf shirts for about $30. Factory Outlet Store (F.O.S.) and The Reject Shop are two other stores I frequent. I also picked up my golf clubs at the Pyramid. The Pyramid also has all the expensive stuff you could possibly want.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...looks a lot like Centro Mexico City, also thought of a pirated good capital of the Americas.

A lot of fun...though. Shoulders square, elbows in, and shuffle forth into murky mix.

Anonymous said...

Most countries I've been to seem to have basically the same goods. I wonder if Mexico has a different assortment of products.

Anonymous said...

arobics shorts ehh??

Anonymous said...

Mexican streets re mostly stuffed with cheap Chinese wares, though around the holidays, you can find some spiffy (and itchy) undies with Mexican themes, like chilis or donkeys on them.